> Teachers Corner
History is an exciting discovery into our past. A record of past events and
experiences. Listed below are suggested Activities and Web Resources you can use with your curriculum for your Students. This is information has been made
available by Kathy Farkas, a teacher at the Horsefly Elementary-Junior Secondary School.
- Family Tree
• Do a family tree on one of the local historical persons
• Do a family tree on your own family
• Create a timeline
• Write journal entries or a diary as one of the local historical persons
• Write letters to relatives, loved ones, or business partners discussing local events
• Write newspaper stories that discuss any of the events. Write the story as if it was happening during the correct time period.
• Use a BC or Regional Map and locate /label significant places and information
- Additional Research
• Research additional Gold Rush Events. eg: Cariboo Gold Rush, Barkerville, Cariboo Gold Rush Trail, Roadhouses.
Community of Wells, BC Website
Education Division of Mining Association of British Columbia (MABC)
Lesson Plan Search
BC Ministry of Education - K-12 Curriculum and Learning Resources
(appendix is a good place to start)